Why Quail? I wanted fresh eggs! Quail better than chickens? Absolutely! I’m slightly biased, but here’s why:
- They are quiet, really quiet – I live in the suburbs and can’t be upsetting neighbors
- They start producing eggs in just 6 weeks vice 6 months for chickens
- The eggs are smaller, about 4 Quail eggs for each chicken egg but a single quail egg packs more nutrition than a single chicken egg (a topic of hot debate!)
- They are super docile and will not peck you or spur you
- If you are producing for meat, they take about a minute to skin and clean, its crazy fast and easy, particularly for folks new to this sort of thing.